Thursday, May 22, 2014

Re: new vim user

2014-05-21 23:27, Elijah Griffin skrev:
> BPJ wrote:
>> >My 'problem' is that I can't by any stretch of imagination think
>> >of what's sjumped over by W as a 'word' -- it's usually at least
>> >one word and then some punctuation. I'm probably a dinosaur for
>> >havings so restrictive a view of what a 'word' is, but so be it.
>> >I guess I could rephrase it as "W: whitespace-delimited chunk".

> Don't think of what is jumped over, think of what it finds. 'W' jumps
> to the start of the next word, whatever jumble is in the way.

No it jumps to the beginning of the next whitespace-delimited
chunk, which may begin in any non-whitespace character. As a
linguist I'm a bit picky about the definition of "word",
whether you jump to, from or over whatever you do or don't
define as a word. There is a linguistic truism that a word
can't be defined by linguistic criteria alone, so the least
common denominator is 'what goes beteen whitespace', but it
usually doesn't include punctuation. My beef is with the
definition of the text objects as such: w recognises a word but
W recognises something else/more. It's clearly me needing to
change my semantic habits! :-)

/bpj

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: