Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Re: new vim user

2014-05-21 15:44, Dan Lowe skrev:
>
>
> On Tue, May 20, 2014, at 01:13 AM, BPJ wrote:
>>
>> I also used to have problems with those, until I realized that
>> they have or can be thought to have mnemonic names, which may not
>> be obvious if English isn't your native language:
>>
>> Key Mnemonic
>>
>> |b| |b|eginning of this word
>> |B| |B|eginning of a bigger chunk -- B is a big b!
>> |e| |e|nd of this word
>> |E| |E|nd of a bigger chunk
>> |w| |w|hitespace after word included
>> |W| |W|hitespace after bigger chunk included
>>
>> The w and W mnemonics *are* a bit contrieved, but the included
>> whitespace is the important difference from e and E, and once I
>> came up with them the served me well -- I almost never used w or
>> W before that! Now of course I hardly need them anymore.
>
> Please keep using whatever works best for you, but I'd guess most Vim
> users think of w as "word," and one way you can think of these are as
> jumps. So it's not that "w" in "dw" means "delete this word," what it
> means is "delete from here until you run into the next word." In the
> same way that "w" without an action before it means "jump to the next
> word."

My 'problem' is that I can't by any stretch of imagination think
of what's sjumped over by W as a 'word' -- it's usually at least
one word and then some punctuation. I'm probably a dinosaur for
havings so restrictive a view of what a 'word' is, but so be it.
I guess I could rephrase it as "W: whitespace-delimited chunk".
(I realize that the store of available letters to assign to
actions was and is limited BTW, so it's no big deal!)

/bpj


--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: