Monday, May 19, 2014

Re: new vim user

On 2014-05-19, Ethan Hereth wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 10:34 PM, Xen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It's not like I'm really all that new to VIM but I can't say
> > I've ever used it in a decent way.
> >
> > Much of what I know is just muscle memory from a past life.

[...]

> > Anyway, if you have any tips or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

> Xen,
>
> Just a couple, perhaps obvious, questions/tips:
>
> Have you run through vimtutor? I remember the first time I walked all
> the way through that after having used Vim a lot for a few years and I
> still learned some things that I didn't know.

I would certainly second the suggestion to review vimtutor.

Then I would look at Bram's video, "7 Habits For Effective Text
Editing", http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6K4iIMlouI. It was pretty
easy to learn everything there was to know about vi. That's no
longer true with Vim--there are just so many commands now. Bram
offers some good advice for improving your effectiveness at
performing the tasks _you_ do most often.

Reading this list regularly really helps, too. I'm always learning
something new from it.

As Ethan wrote, there are a lot of good tutorials and blog articles
on the Web, too. It helps to get recommendations from experienced
users, though, since there are also a lot of articles out there from
well-meaning authors who really don't understand Vim very well.

Regards,
Gary

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: