Sunday, December 13, 2015

Re: Why is :E an ambiguous command after upgrading to patches through 965?

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 8:50 PM, Tim Chase <vim@tim.thechases.com> wrote:
> On 2015-12-13 20:30, boB Stepp wrote:
>> Now that I have done this update, when I use :E to open the file
>> explorer I get "E464: Ambiguous use of user-defined command."
>> However, :Ex works.
>>
>> Can someone tell me what new feature has been added with this update
>> that now makes :E an ambiguous command? The full version info
>> follows:
>
> While I'm not sure off the top of my head what it is, you should be
> able to type (without hitting <enter> first)
>
> :E
>
> and then hit control+D to show the possible matches. My guess is
> that something new has been added (whether in native vim or some
> plugin) that also begins with ":E".


Thanks, Tim! I did not know that trick. Apparently the new command is:

:ELP {boolean-logic pattern} *:ELP*
No search is done, but the conversion from the
boolean logic pattern to the regular expression
is performed and echoed onto the display.

Which is apparently part of Logical Patterns, something I'm not
familiar with. Since I am a relative beginner with vi/Vim, my fingers
are not particularly trained yet, so I could easily get used to typing
:Ex instead of the :E I had been typing.

Thanks again for helping me understand what was going on!



--
boB

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: