Monday, July 31, 2017

Re: Cannot create diffs (E97) with Vim 8.0 on Windows 7

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 4:28:23 PM UTC-4, Charles Campbell wrote:
> Hugo Gagnon wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > When I pick two files in Explorer and then right click -> "Diff with Vim" I get the E97 error. I did read the E97 help file and checked if I had diff.exe installed but I couldn't find anything odd.
>
> By "Explorer", are you referring to netrw? If not, ignore the rest of
> this note, please.
>
> Netrw does not provide a "Diff with Vim". It does allow you to select
> files (shift-leftmouse -or- mf), then select [Netrw:Marked Files:Diff]
> This process uses vim's diffthis on the marked files.
> The self-installing version of vim under Windows includes a diff program
> with it; vim doesn't do diff on its own.
> If you have a diff.exe (from which I'm inferring that you're using
> Windows) make sure that its on your Windows path. My windows speak is
> rusty; that may be %PATH% ? Someone please correct me on that.
>
> Regards,
> Chip Campbell

Since C:\WINDOWS is already in my path I copied diff.exe into it and it now works. I know, using C:\WINDOWS is probably a bad idea. In any case thanks for the input.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: