Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Re: scrolloff side effects are bothersome

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 1:57:38 PM UTC-5, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> I've long used scrolloff intermittantly, but recently I tried adding it
> to my vimrc. I'm finding myself unhappy now.
>
> Straight from the scrolloff docs:
>
> *'scrolloff'* *'so'*
> 'scrolloff' 'so' number (default 0, set to 5 in |defaults.vim|)
> global
> {not in Vi}
> Minimal number of screen lines to keep above and below the cursor.
> This will make some context visible around where you are working. If
> you set it to a very large value (999) the cursor line will always be
> in the middle of the window (except at the start or end of the file or
> when long lines wrap).
> For scrolling horizontally see 'sidescrolloff'.
> NOTE: This option is set to 0 when 'compatible' is set.
>
> Not at all mentioned there is that the H and L movements are changed. As
> someone with a long habit of using yH and yL (or >>L, or dH, etc),
> trying to use scrolloff is annoying.
>
> Consider a large file, like .../libdata/vim/vim80/doc/options.txt
> You can open that file with ":help scrolloff" right now. Then try
> ":set scrolloff=0" <return> and "MyH", depending on screensize you get
> something like "12 lines yanked". Now try ":set scrolloff=999" and then
> "MyH" again. Now only the current line is yanked.
>
> What I would *expect* and what I would like is if H and L movements were
> not affected by scrolloff, and yanks, deletes, etc worked again to top
> and bottom of the screen. And if actually moving to top or bottom with a
> bare H or L, I'd expect the cursor to move, *and* the screen to scroll
> according to scrolloff.
>
> Doesn't this bother other people? Or does no one use scrolloff?
>
> Elijah

It doesn't bother me, but I never use H/M/L commands with an operation. I only ever use them for imprecise "big jump" navigation. If I did, it would probably bother me.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: