Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Re: gvim and sliding command output animation

VIM - Vi IMproved 8.1 (2018 May 18, compiled Aug 29 2018 20:42:12)
Included patches: 1-333
Compiled by Arch Linux
Huge version with GTK3 GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
+acl +extra_search +mouse_netterm +tag_old_static
+arabic +farsi +mouse_sgr -tag_any_white
+autocmd +file_in_path -mouse_sysmouse +tcl/dyn
+autochdir +find_in_path +mouse_urxvt +termguicolors
-autoservername +float +mouse_xterm +terminal
+balloon_eval +folding +multi_byte +terminfo
+balloon_eval_term -footer +multi_lang +termresponse
+browse +fork() -mzscheme +textobjects
++builtin_terms +gettext +netbeans_intg +timers
+byte_offset -hangul_input +num64 +title
+channel +iconv +packages +toolbar
+cindent +insert_expand +path_extra +user_commands
+clientserver +job +perl/dyn +vartabs
+clipboard +jumplist +persistent_undo +vertsplit
+cmdline_compl +keymap +postscript +virtualedit
+cmdline_hist +lambda +printer +visual
+cmdline_info +langmap +profile +visualextra
+comments +libcall +python/dyn +viminfo
+conceal +linebreak +python3/dyn +vreplace
+cryptv +lispindent +quickfix +wildignore
+cscope +listcmds +reltime +wildmenu
+cursorbind +localmap +rightleft +windows
+cursorshape +lua/dyn +ruby/dyn +writebackup
+dialog_con_gui +menu +scrollbind +X11
+diff +mksession +signs -xfontset
+digraphs +modify_fname +smartindent +xim
+dnd +mouse +startuptime -xpm
-ebcdic +mouseshape +statusline +xsmp_interact
+emacs_tags +mouse_dec -sun_workshop +xterm_clipboard
+eval +mouse_gpm +syntax -xterm_save
+ex_extra -mouse_jsbterm +tag_binary
system vimrc file: "/etc/vimrc"
user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
2nd user vimrc file: "~/.vim/vimrc"
user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
system gvimrc file: "/etc/gvimrc"
user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
2nd user gvimrc file: "~/.vim/gvimrc"
defaults file: "$VIMRUNTIME/defaults.vim"
system menu file: "$VIMRUNTIME/menu.vim"
fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK -I/usr/include/gtk-3.0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/fribidi -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/uuid -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/ -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/at-spi2-atk/2.0 -I/usr/include/at-spi-2.0 -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/include -pthread -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -fno-plt -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
Linking: gcc -L. -Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now -fstack-protector -rdynamic -Wl,-export-dynamic -Wl,-E -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib/perl5/5.28/core_perl/CORE -Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,--as-needed -o vim -lgtk-3 -lgdk-3 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lpango-1.0 -latk-1.0 -lcairo-gobject -lcairo -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lgio-2.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lSM -lICE -lXt -lX11 -lXdmcp -lSM -lICE -lm -ltinfo -lelf -lnsl -lacl -lattr -lgpm -ldl -Wl,-E -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib/perl5/5.28/core_perl/CORE -Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now -fstack-protector-strong -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib/perl5/5.28/core_perl/CORE -lperl -lpthread -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -lc -L/usr/lib -ltclstub8.6 -ldl -lz -lpthread -lm
On 14.10.2018 13:19, John Little wrote:
> On Sunday, October 14, 2018 at 9:58:54 PM UTC+13, Steven Holt wrote:
>> In gvim, the output is sliding line by line from the status line
>> to the top window edge which takes maybe a second or two ...
>
> I don't see this, gvim 8.1.0438 Huge version with GTK2 GUI, on
> Kubuntu 18.04. :ls on 116 buffers and a vertically maximized gvim is
> imperceptible. (If I maximize horizontally as well, I get an annoying
> status line flash ⅓ and ⅔ up, but it's quick.)
Now that I've recorded a video I see it's also quite quick (less than a
second) but when I'm in the middle of a work it feels very different.

> So, what OS, DE, and vim version?
Arch, i3, gvim 8.1. Attached full --version output.

Also attached screen recording of how it works for me (gvim -u NONE -U
NONE). Near the end of the video when I :cl twice you can clearly see
that the more prompt is sliding up with several distinct steps. I'm sure
it's an animation done on purpose, not screen redraw issues because
other operations such as resizing windows (I did ^w-_ and ^w-r at the
end of the video) are instant (and because terminal :cl is equally
instant even if made fullscreen).

Any thoughts?

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: