Thursday, October 18, 2018

Re: gvim and sliding command output animation

On 18.10.2018 11:40, John Little wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 17, 2018 at 9:28:41 PM UTC+13, Steven Holt
> wrote:
>> Any thoughts?
>
> I'm sorry I'm not much help. Originally I thought I'd just pop up
> and ask the obvious questions (version, OS, DE).
>
> I simply don't understand your sureness "it's an animation done on
> purpose".
It's mainly due to the fact that :messages open instantly while other
(:cl, etc.) open with a sliding animation.

If it was due to the compositor, GTK version or other global property of
my system, would not :messages suffer from the same issue as :cl? This
is my reasoning.

> gvim is a very thin skin on terminal vim, especially for the main
> text area. Your video plays very quickly for me, I have to play it
> at half speed to notice anything.
>
> I suggest you try a vim GTK2 version. I've fired up a GTK3 vim here
> and it seems a little slower, but nothing worth your complaint.
> AFAIK GTK3 adds nothing to vim, though some theming might work
> differently.
>
> You might try changing the font, or some graphics setting of your
> set-up, like the rendering backend your compositor uses. You didn't
> mention your DE, that is Gnome, KDE, XFCE, et cetera.
I've mentioned it. My DE is i3, i3wm.org.

> Conceivably another DE might drive your hardware better.
>
> If your eyes are hurting, and you normally use white or light
> backgrounds, IMO dark backgrounds (preferably black for text) are far
> easier on the eyes.
>
> To make progress on what's actually going on you'd have to start
> profiling vim, a lot of work with little prospect of achieving
> anything.
>
> Regards, John Little
>

I see, thanks for your feedback, John.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: