Thursday, October 18, 2018

Re: gvim and sliding command output animation

On Wednesday, October 17, 2018 at 9:28:41 PM UTC+13, Steven Holt wrote:
> Any thoughts?

I'm sorry I'm not much help. Originally I thought I'd just pop up and ask the obvious questions (version, OS, DE).

I simply don't understand your sureness "it's an animation done on purpose". gvim is a very thin skin on terminal vim, especially for the main text area. Your video plays very quickly for me, I have to play it at half speed to notice anything.

I suggest you try a vim GTK2 version. I've fired up a GTK3 vim here and it seems a little slower, but nothing worth your complaint. AFAIK GTK3 adds nothing to vim, though some theming might work differently.

You might try changing the font, or some graphics setting of your set-up, like the rendering backend your compositor uses. You didn't mention your DE, that is Gnome, KDE, XFCE, et cetera. Conceivably another DE might drive your hardware better.

If your eyes are hurting, and you normally use white or light backgrounds, IMO dark backgrounds (preferably black for text) are far easier on the eyes.

To make progress on what's actually going on you'd have to start profiling vim, a lot of work with little prospect of achieving anything.

Regards, John Little

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: