Thursday, February 13, 2020

Re: Is "vim -C" supposed to override .vimrc?

On 2020-02-13, 'Ottavio Caruso' via vim_use wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is a snippet or my vimrc:
>
> $ cat .vim/vimrc
> source $VIMRUNTIME/defaults.vim
> set dir=~/.vim/tmp
> set expandtab
> set autoindent
> iabbrev mydate <C-R>=strftime("%a %d/%m/%Y")
> digraph bl 8226 " Insert Bullet with <CTRL>+k bl
> map <f5> :1m$<cr>
>
> which sources the default vim system file, which in turn sets
> "nocompatible", as expected. So far. so good.
>
> If I start vim with:
> $ vim -C somefile
>
> I expect this to turn some features off, for example visual mode with
> mouse clicks, but it doesn't. If I manually set "compatible" from the
> ex command line, it does turn visual mode off. I assume I could put
> this is my vimrc, but I don't want to do this all the time. I could
> probably make an alias to:
>
> vim -c "set compatible" somefile
>
> However I wonder if this is intended behaviour or not, that is, I
> expected "vim -C" to override vimrc.

From ":help -C":

-C Compatible mode. Sets the 'compatible' option. You can use
this to get 'compatible', even though a .vimrc file exists.
Keep in mind that the command ":set nocompatible" in some
plugin or startup script overrules this, so you may end up
with 'nocompatible' anyway.

Regards,
Gary

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/20200213170019.GB9366%40phoenix.

No comments: