Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Triplicate text after mix-matching vim and nvi

Hi,

Maybe this is off-topic but I hope you guys can help, as there's no
specific maling list for classic vi/nvi.

On my system (Linux/amd64 Debian 4.9.189) I have:

- vim (vim 8.1)
- vi (aliased to vim)
- nvi (nvi-1.81.6nb5 )

For self-educational purposes, I've been trying to teach myself to use
both vim and nvi, as I'm studying for a BSD-related certification,
where old vi is installed by default. So, to a certain extent, I am
looking for trouble, however...

I have a file (man-pages.txt) where I have a list of man pages that I
need to expand, for example:

man 8 tcpdump
man 1 login
man 8 sysctl
man 8 adduser
man 5 adduser.conf
man 8 rmuser
man 8 useradd
man 8 userdel

and so on. When I am finished with reading a man page, I cut the first
line and I paste to the last line, so:

1) dd
2) [shift] + g
3) p

And I've been doing this for a few months. Sometimes I use vim and
some other times nvi.

At one point, I noticed that the size of this file was growing
abnormally. Then, I realised that the entries were in duplicate or
triplicate copies, that is, as if I had copied the whole file and then
pasted it twice onto itself.

I removed the duplicate lines and started from scratch and, as a proof
of concept, alternated between vim and nvi, just to see if this would
happen again, and indeed it did.

I wonder if somebody has a clue why this happens. Is this something I
should expect? Is there a markup that one editor places that confuses
the other?

Thanks

--
Ottavio Caruso

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/CAEJNuHxa9%2BhNdpV4vq1FixmDg_-pbLF5WgZvFjMXDsKQv%2BGHTQ%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments: