Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Re: VIM on Windows Work Laptop

On Sat, Mar 07, 2020 at 06:45:52AM -0800, Jack corley wrote:
>Hey, guys I recently started a position that requires me to use a windows
>workstation but I would like to have access to vim and the plugins I
>normally would use. I feel infinitely slower doing basic tasks without it.
>I managed to install the windows version but I am not fully understanding
>where the vimrc file belongs and how to get plug up and running with it so
>I can configure things and utilize plugins. Any tips or suggestions are
>appreciated. So far I have tried modifying the _vimrc in my x86 programs
>file and added the autoload directory like the Plug installation requires.
>But when I launch vim it doesn't seem to be recognizing my _vimrc changes
>or location maybe.
>

There have already been many good answers, though there
are a few points I can add.

If Vim configurtion or script files will be migrated back
and forth between Windows and Unix, keeping them in
fileformat=Unix with simple NL line breaks will make this
easier. Option 'fileformat' aka 'ff' can be toggled to
change files at will between "unix" and "dos" (or "mac")
format.

The vimfiles directory can be placed as a subdirectory
under the main Vim installation container directory,
although if this happens to be under $ProgramFiles or
$ProgramFiles(x86) the files there will be protected by
Windows; Administrative privileges for a Vim instance will
be needed to change them.

Hmm, actually $ProgramFiles(x86) behaves a little strange
when checked with the :echo command; it echos the correct
value but also gives:
E121: Undefined variable: x86
Then again what could go wrong with including parentheses
in an identifier name? Thanks, Microsoft, spaces weren't
bad enough.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/20200310130723.GA23400%40linux.site.

No comments: