Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Re: How can I undock a file panel from a split window?

I suspect it isn't supportable due to decisions early on and the evolution of the code over many years.  Making the change properly would require changes throughout the code.  If Bram says it can't be done, I believe him.

Campbell has a very  straightforward approach of accomplishing the same end result by saving the contents of the current buffer, and then starting a new instance of gvim with that buffer. (I don't use gvim, so I hope I got that right.  I did get it work to my satisfaction with MacVim).

Is there a reason Campbell's solution does not work for you?  Ultimately, isn't the end result the most important part?

On Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 11:37:58 PM UTC-4 v...@tlinx.org wrote:
On 2021/06/10 09:44, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>> If I use split, I can create a separate panel that
>> is a view on a file.
>>
>> How can I undock it?
>>
>
> That is not supported, Vim only works with one toplevel window.
>
----

Why can't it allow undocking like other GUI apps? I'm not wanting
it to be a separate instance of vim -- since I want it to be a
different view on the same file -- so it's not like something that
would need interprocess communication -- but really just another GUI
window like browsers (like firefox or palemoon), like, I think,
Visual Studio, or Thunderbird. Seems like its not an uncommon feature,
and certainly would fit well with the idea of being able to undock
separate windows or tabs from the main window, no?
I.e. might it not be supportable?


--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/27615ce3-363b-4589-9f5d-efae9dc2d2b8n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments: