Monday, June 28, 2021

Re: How can I undock a file panel from a split window?

On 2021/06/16 03:45, rwmit...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Campbell has a very straightforward approach of accomplishing the
> same end result by saving the contents of the current buffer, and then
> starting a new instance of gvim with that buffer. (I don't use gvim,
> so I hope I got that right. I did get it work to my satisfaction with
> MacVim).
>
> Is there a reason Campbell's solution does not work for you?
> Ultimately, isn't the end result the most important part?
----
Because starting a separate copy of Vim isn't what I asked for. I
want separate,
windows onto the same file -- one vim, but with splits I can
undock/detach and
move around as separate windows (but still on the same buffer in the
same copy
of vim).

I.e. if I split gvim into 4 panels, on the same file, and focus
at the same area, I can type in 1 window and see results in the other
panels.
Now I just want to detach one or more of those panels -- they will still
be on
the same file using the same copy of vim -- just that they can be moved
around
separately from each other.

Does that explain why/how Campbell's solution isn't solving the same
problem?

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/60DA7FB8.4010200%40tlinx.org.

No comments: