Sunday, June 27, 2021

Re: Introducing a dedicated unicode mode in Vim

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 11:32:21AM +0530, Manas wrote:
> I wanted to know that will it be interesting to add a dedicated support
> for typing unicode characters in Vim? Like we have insert and replace
> modes, will it be useful to have a "unicode-mode" which when activated
> can enable a typist to type in unicodes at ease and allow them to type
> those characters continuously? Current implementations of using <C-v> for
> unicodes and <C-k> for digraphs become tedious for typing continually.

Probably you can set this in your .vimrc:

`autocmd set digraph`

I had the reverse problem a while ago in mutt, where vim is my editor --
making a typo, hitting <backspace>, typing the right character and
ending up with Japanese katakana or hiragana. After some searching, I
found out that I had a line in my .vimrc that triggered this when
writing an email. Your wish is the reverse of this, although I don't
know if the line above is syntaxually right. But you just can find out.

As with my line that only worked when composing an email in mutt, you
could set it in your .vimrc only to work for specific file types, etc.
The original line I had is

`autocmd BufNewFile,BufRead /tmp/mutt* set noautoindent filetype=mail
wm=0 tw=78 digraph nonumber nolist`

Since I am a search-copy-paste sysadmin, I can't tell you what to change
for your purposes, but there is plenty of info on the Net.

//meine

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/YNiSSQus3%2B%2BiJMhd%40trackstand.

No comments: