Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Building VIM 9 on Ubuntu

Not trying to be difficult or insulting or anything like that, but so it boils down to, no, there is no easy way to do it.
You (i.e., me) just have to figure it out.  By the way, my system doesn't have "build-dep".  It says no such package.

Right?


Again, it would be so much better if it would just fail if it isn't going to work.


Also, and BTW, I can't login to Google, so I can't respond to this thread the normal way.  So, I just have to kludge it via email.  Sorry about that.



Gary Johnson wrote the following:

unread,
1:11 PM (26 minutes ago) 
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 2022-08-10, 'J S' via vim_use wrote: 

> 1) Can someone give me a good list of all the dependencies and packages that I 
> need to install on my Ubuntu 18.04 (Yes, I know that is old, but that also 
> cannot be changed) system so that I can build a GTK3 version of Vim9? (N.B. 
> This is the most important paragraph of this post; everything else is just 
> information!) 

1. Find the Ubuntu package that includes the features you want in 
Vim. 

$ apt list | grep ^vim 

In your case, that would be vim-gtk3 

2. Do one of the following. 

a) Have apt install dependencies automatically. 

$ sudo apt build-dep vim-gtk3 

----> Shouldn't that be "sudo apt install ..." ?

b) View the dependencies and install the ones you want or need 
manually. 

$ apt show vim-gtk3 | grep ^Depends 

For each <package> to be installed, run 

$ sudo apt install <package> 

No comments: