Thursday, August 11, 2022

Re: New version of vim unsolicitedly sourcing defaults.vim?

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 11:31:22AM +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 9, 2022 at 7:54 PM Tim Chase <vim@tim.thechases.com> wrote:
>>
>> I upgraded packages on my FreeBSD box yesterday and noticed that
>> vimrc behavior had changed.
[snip]
>> :scriptnames
>
> Yes, it's your distro admins giving you what they think is good for
> you.

that matches our conclusions (see the ticket on the FreeBSD bug-tracker)

> What I do near (but not at) the top of my ~/.vimrc is source the
> $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim (which, in recent versions of Vim,
> sources the defaults.vim) and then undo whatever it sets that I don't
> like

I don't want to have to keep up with whatever new settings get put
in defaults.vim, undoing them back to what I want (i.e., what they
were before this whole defaults.vim thing). I feel vim did the
right thing with the "if they have a vimrc, don't source defaults.vim".
As detailed at that ticket, I believe the best solution is for
FreeBSD to not have a system vimrc that sources defaults.vim
unconditionally, but rather to have their ports process patch the
defaults.vim to contain the couple extra helper bits they want.

-tim




--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/YvUBhOIug2iSmAMa%40thechases.com.

No comments: