Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Re: strange difference in UI for identical .vimrc

On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 9:30 PM 'Grant Taylor' via vim_use
<vim_use@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> On 8/3/22 5:37 PM, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> > I have two machines with 8.2.2263 and 8.2.5052 respectively with
> > the following .vimrc (same NIS account/NFS home dir) and in the 2263
> > machine shows a transparent background (which is what I want) and the
> > 5052 shows and opaque one which is not what I want (See screen shots).
> > How do I make 5052 behave like 2263.
>
> This seems like a Window Manager / Desktop Environment issue more than
> it seems like a Vim issue to me.

Thats what I thought to but see experiment below.

>
> Though I would naively assume that a common NFS mounted home directory
> would have the same WM / DE preferences too.

Since I always ssh into machine that shows the background (it is my
"work" vm and my desktop is for more general purpose computing like
this email and watching youtube). BTW both machines are FreeBSD 12.1

>
> What happens if you run gVim on each machine displaying on the other
> machine remote X11 display (possibly via SSH forwarding)?

It seems now that FreeBSD has switched over to Wayland you can not do
intermachine remote xproto stuff. Gvim does open with an opaque
background on the desktop machine though.


--
Aryeh M. Friedman, Lead Developer, http://www.PetiteCloud.org

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/CAGBxaXkXwgUpapMZxPWavR0mAVEWFcCKJ6cHhSAyYdZ04T2raA%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments: