Friday, August 12, 2022

Re: New version of vim unsolicitedly sourcing defaults.vim?

On Fr, 12 Aug 2022, Tim Chase wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2022 at 12:29:24AM +0200, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> > I believe that Vim has a good set of defaults, including (in recent
> > versions) sourcing defaults.vim when no user vimrc was found (if you
> > have a vimrc, and still want the settings of the defaults.vim, or most
> > of them like I do, well, just source it), so a system vimrc is almost
> > never necessary, or even useful.
>
> The other settings in defaults.vim don't usually give me much grief, but
> having a non-0 'scrolloff' means my usual
>
> {count}H
> {count}L
>
> no longer land {count} lines from the top/bottom of the screen,
> but rather {count} + &scrolloff lines from the top/bottom.

The 'scrolloff' setting is also my major issue with defaults.vim and it
makes copy/pasting with a mouse from a terminal so much more harder.

Sometimes I find it useful when searching and I need the context, but
when I do, setting it explicitly is good enough.

> Additionally a non-empty 'mouse' setting means that my usual "select
> some text with the mouse (like I do in every other terminal situation)
> and let my xterm/rxvt put it in the X selection buffer" stops
> working.

Funnily enough, the mouse setting does not hurt me as much as expected.

Hm actually it looks like most distributions that I have to jump on (
which are usually enterprise distros), either use the same source
package or all of them patch out setting the mouse in defaults.vim

> > Forking Vim is possible and the license allows it
>
> In this case, it's less of a fork and more of a light patching/tweak
> atop the stock distro, allowing it to more easily track the vim
> upstream, but this particular change caused unfortunate side-effects.

In my opinion, forks just create too much of hate in the community.

Best,
Christian
--
Kleiner Schmerz ist in Augenblicken leidlich, aber nicht in der
Fortdauer; also liegt die Ursache unserer Ungeduld darin, daß er uns
immer unterbricht.
-- Jean Paul

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vim_use/20220812091243.GB3494724%40256bit.org.

No comments: