Sunday, February 28, 2010

Re: building console version on unices (was: iMac slow in vi)

On 27/02/2010, at 08:17 PM, Florian Rehnisch wrote:

> * Miklos Somogyi <msom@netspace.net.au> [100227 09:28]:
>> On 27/02/2010, at 06:20 PM, Florian Rehnisch wrote:
>>
>>> You get a certain speedup when you use the console version and build vim
>>> w/o gui facilities.
>>>
>>> This is my shell function receipt:
>>> #v+
>>>
>>> function mkvim() {
>>> ./configure \
>>> --prefix=/opt/vim \
>>> --disable-gui \
>>> --without-x \
>>> --with-features=huge \
>>> --enable-perlinterp \
>>> --with-compiledby='Florian "eix" Rehnisch <eixman@gmx.de>' &&
>>> make
>>> }
>
>> Having lurked here a few days I could see that vim has grown
>> enormously from my familiar vi, like word processor or more. I suspect
>> that contributes to the slowness of the complete system.
>
> Ohh, that's not too bad. Purists suggest nvi. ;-)
>
>> I'd like to try building a console version as you suggests, but how do
>> I get to do it?
>
> Tony made a HowTo on compiling Vim on unices. See
> http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm
> See also ':h usr_90'.
>
>> And where is the place of your shell function
>> receipt?
>
> It lives as a stanza in my ~/.zshrc. Bash users go with ~/.bashrc.
> Lovers of small inition files would put the part between {} in a shell
> script ~/bin/mkvim, whoose first line is sth. like '#!/bin/sh'.
>
> Still questions? Don't refrain to ask ;-)
> --
> flori
> Vim-Hilfe auf Deutsch http://www.florianrehnisch.de/vimhelp/
> WARNING: PRGRAMMING BUG IN E2FSCK!
> OR SOME BONEHEAD (YOU) IS CHECKING A MOUNTED (LIVE) FILESYSTEM.
>
> --
> You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
> Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php


Thank you Florian,

As I am not a big Nix-er, I'll need a very calm day alone to go through with this installation.
I'm sure I'll need to find and download a lot of things Vim needs.
Probably I'll do what you suggested because vim's slowness really bothers me.

Again, thank you,

Miklos

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: