Friday, February 26, 2010

Re: Saving signs

On Fri, February 26, 2010 9:52 am, Tom Link wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, are you sure you don't want to use marks? I
> hardly ever use signs directly. The way I use vim, signs are usually
> created programmatically (e.g. based on info in the quickfixlist or
> the location list). If I want to put a mark on a line of code, I use
> marks for which vim also provides commands/maps to jump to these marks
> etc. I you wanted to use signs, you probably also had to write some
> commands/functions to jump to these signs, to remove them easily etc.

I use signs usually only to display marks directly. I think there are
several plugins for that functionality available, though I use my own.
Theoretically you can also use signs, to color a buffer specially. I have
done that before. And you can jump to signs using :sign jump

BTW: I noticed some unexpected behaviour when writing savesigns.vba.
Is this behaviour a feature or a bug?
:redir => a | sil sign list | redir end
(this errors "E155: Unknown sign: |")
so one has to wrap this command into
:redir => a | exe 'sil sign list' | redir end


regards,
Christian

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: