Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Re: Vim persistent undo

On Mo, 28 Okt 2013, erdogan.kerem wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just enabled persistent undo in vim, but realized that before turning on
> persistent undo, it was occasionally useful debugging for me to undo my
> changes until when I first opened the file, then play them back to see if I
> had made any unintended changes. With persistent undo, however, I'm not sure
> how to know when I get back to the state in which I first opened the file.
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to find this out with persistent undo
> enabled?

That is not easily possible, because Vim doesn't keep track of the time,
when you first opened the file. May be this helps:

aug MyPersistentUndo
au!
au BufNewFile,BufReadPost * :let b:undo_nr = changenr() | com -buffer ResetOpenedFile :exe (b:undo_nr ? ":undo ". b:undo_nr : ':undo 1|norm! g-')
augroup END

And then use :ResetOpenedFile to go back to the time, when you first
opened the buffer.


Best,
Christian

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: