Thursday, September 24, 2015

Re: gvim on cygwin/xfree inherits height of xterm

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 3:02 AM, Paul <Paul.Domaskis@gmail.com> wrote:
[…]
> I think I've been bastardizing the [g]vimrc scheme to maintain my
> habits from before, when I used vi. I was used to having one rc file,
> and there was no concept of a gui version. I think I jumped on the
> vim bandwagon about 1.5 decades ago, and look, it has now taken over
> the world. I am not implying that I had anything to do with that, just
> that I fortuitously made a good choice. It might have been the only
> logical choice at the time, if it was dominant already. In fact, I
> think I still vaguely recall the times when I was trying to get a
> decent code editor after many years away from vi, and I was messing
> around with emacs.
>
> Anyway, about bastardizing the [g]vimrc scheme, I only maintain one rc
> file: vimrc. It has conditional statements depending on the value of
> has('gui'), though I should probably join the 21st century and change
> it to has('gui_running'). It might make the console vim experience
> less...mysterious. Thanks again, Tony.
>

I've never used vi (except as a nickname for a "tiny build of vim")
but I also have only a vimrc, with
:if has('gui_running')
and/or
:autocommand GUIEnter …
for statements not to be executed when starting in console mode. The
latter (autocommand) method is for settings which must happen only at
the very moment of starting the GUI, and not earlier, e.g. settings
which would be overridden if set in the short lapse of time between
starting a Unix-like gvim (from a bash shell, maybe) and its going
over to GUI mode. Some termcap settings, for instance, are of that
kind.

IIRC I've become a steady user of Vim when it was at version 6.1 or
thereabouts. It already had multibyte capability (if the feature was
selected at compile-time, of course) but that was still a novelty.

Best regards,
Tony.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: