Sunday, September 27, 2015

Re: Weird 's' command behavior.

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 8:27 PM, sycc <sycc90@mail.com> wrote:
> Ok, so it's finally happened once again.
> I was mistaken about 'cl' though, it behaves incorrectly, same as 's' does.
> I've checked the mapping for either 's', 'c', 'l', 'cl'... I couldn't really
> think of anything else related to this and no, none of them are being mapped
> to anything. 'c<space>' does the same thing.
> I'll try leaving this vim session open in case any of you think there's
> something I could try to troubleshoot this. I've closed the files I was
> working on and re-opened them with another vim session and that's working
> correctly.
>
>
>
>
> On 09/21/2015 10:55 PM, sycc wrote:
>>
>> Te respond to both tests:
>> 1) I'm certain it's not an issue with me typing a 2 accidentally. Once
>> this starts happening I've tried manually hitting the 's' a single time,
>> tried 2s, 3s (as explained in the first email), 'cl' works as 's' should.
>> Next time this happens I'll try mapping 'cl' to 's' as Bee suggested to see
>> what happens. But yes, I'm certain that's not it because once it starts,
>> it's persistent and doesn't go away until restarting vim. It is a
>> possibility, however, that I might be entering some sequence that could
>> cause this instead of some other regular commands, like 'noh' which I use
>> quite frequently and have been mistyping some times because of the new
>> keyboard.
>> 2) I'm also certain it's not the keyboard. Once the problem starts, it's
>> just that 's' command that behaves weirdly. If I go into insert mode I can
>> type an "s" without trouble whatsoever, same thing in any other
>> applications, terminal, etc.
>>
>> I'll keep my eyes open until it happens again and check if it's somehow
>> been remapped.
>>
>> Thank you all for your suggestions!
>>
>>
>> On 09/21/2015 10:39 PM, Tim Chase wrote:
>>>
>>> On 2015-09-21 19:21, sycc wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Given all that, I was left thinking I might be accidentally hitting
>>>> some command sequence that would change its behavior, I'm breaking
>>>> in a new keyboard and making quite a bit of mistakes while typing
>>>> so it's a possibility I think
>>>
>>> Given this new information, that would be my top suspicion. My
>>> laptop keyboard has a column that sometimes double-strike or skip
>>> (makes typing passwords a real joy; enough that I got a USB keyboard
>>> to lessen the annoyance), and my netbook has tighter spacing and an
>>> odd arrangement that frequently causes me to hit the wrong key until
>>> my fingers have adapted to that particular keyboard. So with that in
>>> mind, your attempts to type a "w" or "q" on your new key-board's
>>> spacing might cause you to bump "2" to get the effect you're seeing.
>>> Other possibilities might be a short in the keyboard or some sort of
>>> gunk that's causing a neighboring key to trigger.
>>>
>>> So my next tests would be:
>>>
>>> - if you can take notice of whether you recently typed a "w" or "q"
>>> preceding the "s", there might be some neighbor bumping. Using
>>> "set showcmd" in your vimrc would show you if you have a pending
>>> "2" as your count.
>>>
>>> - try using/borrowing/buying an alternate keyboard to see if the
>>> issue persists. If it doesn't, it's likely a hardware issue
>>>
>>> -tim
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>

Try (in the misbehaving Vim, of course)
:new
:source $VIMRUNTIME/bugreport.vim
:view ./bugreport.txt
in that order (this assumes it is compiled with +windows, otherwise
omit the first command)

Do you see anything suspicious?


Best regards,
Tony.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: