Monday, September 21, 2015

Re: Weird 's' command behavior.

Te respond to both tests:
1) I'm certain it's not an issue with me typing a 2 accidentally. Once
this starts happening I've tried manually hitting the 's' a single time,
tried 2s, 3s (as explained in the first email), 'cl' works as 's'
should. Next time this happens I'll try mapping 'cl' to 's' as Bee
suggested to see what happens. But yes, I'm certain that's not it
because once it starts, it's persistent and doesn't go away until
restarting vim. It is a possibility, however, that I might be entering
some sequence that could cause this instead of some other regular
commands, like 'noh' which I use quite frequently and have been
mistyping some times because of the new keyboard.
2) I'm also certain it's not the keyboard. Once the problem starts, it's
just that 's' command that behaves weirdly. If I go into insert mode I
can type an "s" without trouble whatsoever, same thing in any other
applications, terminal, etc.

I'll keep my eyes open until it happens again and check if it's somehow
been remapped.

Thank you all for your suggestions!


On 09/21/2015 10:39 PM, Tim Chase wrote:
> On 2015-09-21 19:21, sycc wrote:
>> Given all that, I was left thinking I might be accidentally hitting
>> some command sequence that would change its behavior, I'm breaking
>> in a new keyboard and making quite a bit of mistakes while typing
>> so it's a possibility I think
> Given this new information, that would be my top suspicion. My
> laptop keyboard has a column that sometimes double-strike or skip
> (makes typing passwords a real joy; enough that I got a USB keyboard
> to lessen the annoyance), and my netbook has tighter spacing and an
> odd arrangement that frequently causes me to hit the wrong key until
> my fingers have adapted to that particular keyboard. So with that in
> mind, your attempts to type a "w" or "q" on your new key-board's
> spacing might cause you to bump "2" to get the effect you're seeing.
> Other possibilities might be a short in the keyboard or some sort of
> gunk that's causing a neighboring key to trigger.
>
> So my next tests would be:
>
> - if you can take notice of whether you recently typed a "w" or "q"
> preceding the "s", there might be some neighbor bumping. Using
> "set showcmd" in your vimrc would show you if you have a pending
> "2" as your count.
>
> - try using/borrowing/buying an alternate keyboard to see if the
> issue persists. If it doesn't, it's likely a hardware issue
>
> -tim
>
>
>

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: