Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Re: How to map SPACE to :next at "Press ENTER" prompt?

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 10:10 PM, Aleksey Tsalolikhin
<atsaloli.tech@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Background: I am editing multiple files and I would like to move to the next
> file (:next) after running a command that leaves me at the "Press ENTER or
> type command to continue" prompt. I can do this by typing
>
> :next
>
> but I would like to use a keymapping to make it faster. (I'm actually
> teaching a five day class and I'm showing a lot of files in vim, a sort of
> "vim slideshow" if you will).
>
> My .vimrc contains:
>
> map <SPACE> :next<CR>
>
> and this works while I'm editing a file, but if after I run a command, I get
> the "Press ENTER or type command to continue" prompt, and when I press SPACE
> there, vim pops me back in the edit buffer FOR THAT SAME FILE.
>
> How can I make the mapping of SPACE to :next effective at the "Press ENTER"
> prompt?
>
> I read :help mapmode and tried the following but alas they all have the same
> behavior as "map" (pop me back in the same file):
>
> omap <SPACE> :next<CR>
> nmap <SPACE> :next<CR>
> vmap <SPACE> :next<CR>
> cmap <SPACE> :next<CR>
> imap <SPACE> :next<CR>
>
> Best,
> Aleksey
>

IIUC, hitting the space bar at the more-prompt or hit-enter-prompt
(qq.v.) triggers Vim's pagination behaviour (and gobbles up the
<Space> keystroke) before it reaches the point where mappings are
expanded.

Try with a different key: I recommend some F key, for instance with
:map <F5> :next<CR>
:map <S-F5> :prev<CR>


Best regards,
Tony.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: