Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Re: RFE: enable gvim to open a buffer or tab in a new window

Christian Brabandt wrote:
> Hi L!
>
> On Di, 28 Mär 2017, L A Walsh wrote:
>
>
>> If I could tear off & merge tabs it would easily allow
>> such operations.
>>
>
> You mean like tear off a tab and make it a new application window (e.g.
> before there was only one gvim window and afterwards you have 2 windows
> as seen from the operating system)?
>
-----
Perhaps, though like w/firefox, I can send a tab or drag a tab to another
window -- and it is still only 1 application (who knows how many
threads, though)...
> That is not currently possible. However it should be possible to script
> a plugin, that calls v:progpath with the current window and restores the
> view using :mkview and :loadview. However I don't know, if something
> like this exists
>
----
I'm not sure you are understanding that I really only want there
to be 1 application controlling both windows.
In the same way as when I split a window, if I change
something in 1 split, I can see the edits in another split.

In this case, I'm just wanting a it to bring up a new
window. Sorta like in explorer, if I want I can right click
on a folder and say "open folder in new window". It's still
only 1 copy of explorer, but I can have it open multiple windows
on different folders -- if I change something in one of those
windows, I see the change reflected in other windows (usually,
it's a MS-product). ;-)

-Linda


> Best,
> Christian
>

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: