Sunday, November 29, 2009

Compiling Vim for 64-bit Fedora Linux

All,

I recently decided to try out 64-bit Linux with Fedora 12. When
I tried to compile Vim, the configure script couldn't locate the
Python "config" directory, which is necessary to successfully
compile with --enable-pythoninterp. This is because 64-bit
Fedora 12 puts the Python libraries beneath /usr/lib64 instead
of /usr/lib.

I was able to work around the problem in two ways.

First, based on clues from this posting to the mailing list:
http://old.nabble.com/Trouble-compiling-vim-%2B-python-td21136985.html

I added the following switch to the configure script:

--with-python-config-dir=/usr/lib64/python2.6/config

Since I didn't want to hard-code that path into my generic
script for building Vim, I also tried the following symlink,
which appeared to work as well:

ln -s /usr/lib64/python2.6/config /usr/lib/python2.6/config

Neither approach above seems quite smooth to me. I didn't drill
down into the configure script very far, but I'm wondering if
using Python's "python-config" tool would help ferret out the
necessary configuration information. For example, on my system,
I get the following output:

$ python-config --prefix
/usr
$ python-config --includes
-I/usr/include/python2.6 -I/usr/include/python2.6
$ python-config --libs
-lpthread -ldl -lutil -lm -lpython2.6

The python-config tool comes in the python-devel package on
Fedora. This package is required when building Vim using the
--enable-pythoninterp switch anyway, and I imagine it's true
in general that python-config would be available anywhere that
the necessary Python development libraries were installed. In
any event, the configure script could check for the presence of
python-config and use that if found, falling back to the old
method if not.

Michael Henry

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: