Monday, November 30, 2009

Re: Specify a register for a custom command

Christian Brabandt schrieb:
> Hi Nathan!
>
> On Mo, 30 Nov 2009, Nathan Neff wrote:
>
>> I see that there's a "-register" option that I can use when defining
>> a custom command, but I'm having trouble understanding how to use it.
>>
>> For example, I just want to create a command that prints out the contents of
>> a register that is specified by the user.
>>
>> I tried something like this, but can't print out the <reg> part:
>>
>> :command! -register Foo :echo You picked this register: <reg>
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>
> You need to expand <reg>, e.g. com! -register Foo :echo expand("<reg>")

You were just guessing?
:Foo a
executes
:echo expand("a")

Nathan, try these examples:
:com! -register Foo echo 'Register:' <q-reg>
:com! -register Foo display <reg>

:h <q-args>

--
Andy

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: