Friday, January 29, 2010

Re: Restoring contents

Hi,

Tim Chase wrote:
>> I had typed .wq! instead wq! while saving and closing the file
>> in vim.All the contents i had in my file had got lost.Kindly
>> let me know how can I retreive the contents of the file.Thanks
>> in Advance.Help me in this as the file contained important
>> information.
>
> I'm afraid you don't make much sense here: if you actually typed
> ".wq!", then the file would have been written to disk.

note the dot: this overwrites the original file with the current line.

Charany/Momdad/whoever, have you set the 'backup' option? Then you
might have a backup file with a ~ or .bak append to the original name.

Regards,
Jürgen

--
Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere
in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. (Calvin)

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: