Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Suggestions for symbol navigation

I was wondering what people used for navigating symbols in their vim
environment, for C style projects. Currently I use cscope, building a
single symbol database for the entire project. This is annoying
because it takes a long time (2-5 minutes) to regenerate the database,
which means I only tend to do it once a day. However, I love cscope's
navigation options in vim, being able to list everywhere that calls a
function is extremely powerful.

Would it help if I built smaller cscope databases, on a per-directory
basis perhaps, and updated them automatically as files changed? I
could very easily have a vim handler for saving files which would
check the age of the cscope database for the current directory, and if
it was too old then I could update the database.

Does anyone use an alternative system that I haven't heard of? I have
used ctags but ultimately it isn't powerful enough for my needs, that
I can tell.

Also, I have been unable to find a reliable system for autocompleting
function parameters; does anyone know of a script which will do that?

Cheers,

Max

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: