Tuesday, June 29, 2010

percentage of vim users running python

Hello folks,

I'm wondering if there are some figures somewhere that would provide
some sort of estimate of the percentage of vim users who have python
installed, or would be free of objections to installing it if a module
required it. I'm working on some vim modules, to be released for
general use, that are threatening to become pretty complicated, and
would prefer to write them in python. Is it likely that this would
lock out a significant portion of the vim user population? Is it
frowned upon to use external languages in cases where it's not
entirely necessary? Python is more or less ubiquitous on linux
installs, but I don't feel like I could guess at how many vim users on
other platforms would be unable or unwilling to install it.

The modules themselves are relatively general purpose; my motivation
to code them in Python stems partly from this very generality: it's
advantageous to have that code available outside of the context of
vim. I also find that I tend more and more toward a functional
programming style that doesn't work particularly well in vimscript.

Cheers
-Ted

--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

No comments: