Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Re: vim, format=flowed and hanging indents

On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 4:03:50 PM UTC+2, Tim Gray wrote:
> I can't necessarily answer all of your questions. As I saw it, this
> email did NOT have format=flowed set in the headers.

Sorry, I should have been clear. I'm posting here using the Google Groups web interface.

> Yes, there is a way to fix it. Mailing your sample paragraphs to myself
> caused the same thing to happen. But, it's supposed to as I understand
> f=f. Here's why. I think the spec states that if you have a line that
> ends with space, the reader should reformat it. If your formatting is
> important, then don't put a space at the end of those lines. Since your
> numbered list has formating that you want to keep, remove the spaces
> from the end of those lines.
>
> So, you need to either remove those spaces with a quick search and
> replace (or a macro) or set 'fo-=w' and reformat those lines.

Thanks very much for the explanation. The fo-=w solution is not ideal, but "absolutely necessary to do fancy formatting in an email likely to be read on a phone" is enough of an edge case that I can live with it!

> My ultimate advice is to skip fancy formatting like that in email, and
> just go with f=f. So, maybe set 'fo-=n'. (Also, check out the j
> option. Nice for reformatting quoted text.)

fo-=n is what I'm going with. Thanks.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: