Thursday, April 25, 2013

Re: Vim Touch for Android

Thanks, Jeroen,

On Apr 23, 2013, at 4:33 PM, Jeroen Budts wrote:

> On 04/22/2013 03:55 PM, Eric Weir wrote:
>
> Maybe try creating a documents folder inside the /storage/emulated/0/
> directory. I think from inside Vim Touch you will be able to refer to
> that as ~/documents, so that your existing configuration works.

Yes, it worked.

> That mostly depends on your personal preference and the length of your
> .vimrc file. I try to keep only one .vimrc, but my vimrc is over 600
> lines, so maintaining multiple copies would be a disaster. I do however
> also maintain a 'mini-vimrc'-file with the (for me) bare minimum config,
> which I use on my Raspberry Pi and on servers.

Ah, you have a Raspberry Pi. You seem to go in for minatures. Except in .vimrcs. Mine is a lot shorter.

>> With a little more experience with the tablet under my belt I am
>> still thinking about returning the Nexus 7---I have 14 days from
>> date of purchase to do so---and exchanging it for a nexus 7. While
>> I'm impressed with the android apps I've found, I see myself
>> continuing to do everything but run vim on the ipad. Again, what do
>> you think?
>
> Again this is personal preference. Before the Nexus 7, I had a 10"
> tablet (from Eken) because I suspected that a 7" would be to small. Now
> that I have a 7", I actually prefer that because it is much more
> convenient to take with me.
> But on the Nexus 7 in landscape mode you only have a few lines available
> for the content of your file as the keyboard fills up half the screen,
> as you can see on this screenshot:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/576imukfgedxter/Screenshot_2013-04-23-22-20-44.png
> (I have the font size set to 14pt in Vim Touch).
> In portrait there is a lot more space, but the hackers keyboard becomes
> really tiny. On my Nexus 4 (4.7") I use also use the hackers keyboard
> for Vim Touch but there I use the compact qwerty layout for portrait
> (it's somewhere in the settings of the keyboard).

I'm gonna give it a shot on the 7. My vim window on my macbook is pretty small. About 11 X 11 cm. If I can get Vim Touch running satisfactorily and find the 7 too small, I'll get myself another 10.

Didn't know about the compact qwerty layout.

Regards,
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA
eeweir@bellsouth.net

"Everywhere the crisis of the private financial system
has been transformed into a tale of slovenly and overweening government
that perpetuates and is perpetuated by a dependent and demanding population."

- Marilynne Robinson



--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: