Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Re: Building Vim on Windows

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 1:21 PM, Salman Halim <salmanhalim@gmail.com> wrote:
I was able to fix the "prototype not found" warnings easily enough myself; will post the Python ones when I'm back at the home computer.

I concede that BCC might be an unpopular choice, but as long as Vim continues to include a make file for it, I assume it's because someone (besides me; my use of it wasn't public knowledge until I just admitted it on this email list!) uses it. If not, why bother?

After fiddling a bit with the MinGW paths (I also have Cygwin installed), I got a clean build with MinGW, which is great: thanks again, Ben, for the pointer. As for the BCC warnings, the list is large, so I'm including it here in as an attachment. However, to summarize, here are a few sample lines from the output (again, the addition of a function prototype earlier in the file got rid of this warning, but it's not there when I build with MinGW at all):

Warning W8065 .\regexp_nfa.c 2625: Call to function 'nfa_max_width' with no prototype in function nfa_max_width

Warning W8066 .\regexp_nfa.c 2814: Unreachable code in function nfa_max_width

Also, there are about 100 of these (on steadily increasing line numbers):

Warning W8060 if_python.c 772: Possibly incorrect assignment in function py_memsave

These seem rather suspicious:

Warning W8053 .\os_win32.c 2681: '_chmod(const signed char *,int,...)' is obsolete in function mch_setperm
Warning W8070 .\os_win32.c 3614: Function should return a value in function sub_process_writer

There are no actual errors, just a bunch of warnings. The final build, however, corrupts every file it touches absolutely.

This is no longer pressing for me, personally, but I do feel that we should either renege on support for BCC or fix it. It would help if we knew if anybody still uses BCC...

Salman

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
 
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments: