Saturday, August 24, 2013

Re: Certain commands undock & shift window

On 24/08/13 17:01, Cesar Romani wrote:
> On 20/08/2013 02:10 a.m., AndyHancock wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Dan Wierenga wrote:
> >>> On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM, AndyHancock wrote:
> >>> I Windows 7, when I have the gvim windows docked against the right
> >>> or left half of the screen, the following commands always seem
> >>> undock the window and shifts the position:
> >>>
> >>> * tab split or tabclose
> >>> * set guioptions+=b when it doesn't have b
> >>> * set guioptions-=b when it does
> >>>
> >>> I use those commands alot, so I'm constantly having to readjust the
> >>> window. Would anyone have an idea of what might cause this, and or
> >>> how to go about troubleshooting?
> >>>
> >>> I can confirm the behavior on my setup too. I'd guess that Windows
> >>> sees the height of the gvim window change and thus undocks it for
> >>> you, just like it does if you change the height of the window with
> >>> the mouse. I don't think there's a way to stop Windows from
> >>> "helping" in that manner, unless you can somehow convince gvim to
> >>> not change the window height. A few quick experiments didn't reveal
> >>> anything useful to me however. I personally just re-dock the gvim
> >>> window again. Holding down the Windows key and hitting the
> >>> right-arrow key is a very quick way of re-docking it to the right
> >>> side again ( or left-arrow to the left side), much faster than
> >>> reaching for the mouse.
> >
> > Wow, I didn't even realize that the window size changed.
> >
> > The trick for docking a window from the keyboard is neat.
> > Unfortunately (well, just for me, that is), I will still have use the
> > mouse since I actually adjust the window after docking to be skinnier
> > than half the width of the screen. I have a widescreen so that I can
> > work with many windows at once, and having one app take up an entire
> > half of the display defeats the purpose of the widescreen (especially
> > when I don't need the app to take up that amount of width).
> >
> > Ah well. Welcome to Windows. Thanks anyway.
> >
>
> Go to
> Start > All Programs > Accessories > Ease of Access > ...
> Ease of Access Center > Make the mouse easier to use
>
> Check "Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to
> the edge of the screen"
>
>
To resize the gvim screen from the keyboard you can set the 'lines'
and/or 'columns' options. But I don't know how it interacts with your
"docking". (My screen is 1024x768 and, on this Linux system, I keep
windows apart by means of virtual desktops, something which does not
exist on MS-Windows AFAIK.)

Note: gvim will normally not let its screen exceed what is available on
your monitor; if necessary it will adjust 'lines' and/or 'columns'
downwards. This can also happen when you set a larger 'guifont'.

See
:help 'lines'
:help 'columns'
:help 'guifont'


Best regards,
Tony.
--
Decision maker, n.:
The person in your office who was unable to form a task force
before the music stopped.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: