Friday, October 11, 2013

Re: Vim on XP

On 11/10/2013 23:39, Gary Johnson wrote:

> On 2013-10-11, Phil Dobbin wrote:
>> On 11/10/2013 15:09, Paul Isambert wrote:
>>> Phil Dobbin a écrit:
>
>>>> I'm wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction of some
>>>> good online resources for Vim on Windows so I can get up to speed
>>>> quickly with regards to plugins, tips & tricks, etc?
>>>
>>> I don't think there's anything special, except for those plugins that
>>> rely on Python or anything else (I have some Lua code which I can't
>>> use on Windows because it requires a Lua library that I can't install
>>> for some reason). The only thing I can see is to use the Cream
>>> version, which has a full Vim up-to-date for Windows, unlike the Vim
>>> for Windows downloadable from the Vim site, which often lags behind.
>>>
>>> (Note: I don't use many plugins, so perhaps I'm missing something
>>> important.)
>>
>> That's the thing: I have over forty plugins & use several different
>> colour schemes dependent on file type.
>>
>> I guess I'll just keep searching on Google. Something will turn up, I'm
>> sure.
>
> Do you have any specific issues with using Vim and your plugins on
> Windows? I have one directory, named ~/.vim on Unix and ~/vimfiles
> on Windows, that I use for all my plugins. I use Dropbox and Unison
> to keep in sync across all the computers I use. There are a few
> places in my vimrc file where I use conditionals such as 'if
> has("win32")', but most things work the same in both environments

I have no specific issues, it's merely the fact that apart from the odd
occasion I've used Windows in, say, an internet cafe & the likes (& that
was just to access a browser), today was for the first time in nearly
twenty-seven years of computing that I've used a Win32 machine in anger.

You've answered my question basically: apart from subtle naming
conventions i.e. _vimrc instead of .vimrc, ~/vimfiles instead of ~/.vim,
etc the directory layout is the same & if the plugin runs on Windows,
I'm good to go. Thank you.

Also, thanks to everybody else who responded. Much appreciated.

As a final thought, if anybody knows of a plugin manager similar to
Vundle for Windows (I keep all my dotfiles on GitHub), I'd love to hear
about it.

Cheers,

Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
Arch Linux, CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Spherical
& That Damn Cat, OS X Snow Leopard & Tiger, Scientific Linux 6.4, Ubuntu
Quantal & Raring
GnuGPG Key : http://phildobbin.org/publickey.asc


--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: