Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Re: Vim Weekly

> My goal
> - We need one person to serve as a door keeper to the project
> (something like the linux kernel project) the main objective here is
> to fight spam and verify that the tip actually works.
I know - testing tips and judging which to use is most work, correct.

> - Users should not be allowed to edit the content on the main site, all tips would be submitted on github via pull-request or simply editing a file. (Again trying to fight spam
I haven't seen a single spam commit on my wiki yet. And if it happens
git commits are trivially to revert or drop. My idea is to be
"uncommon" and simple. adding ?vim_edit=1 to a page is very simple - but
no bot will know about it.

> In the next coming weeks I am hoping to write a command line utility
> that will enable users to submit tips from the CLI, possibly somebody
> else could create a vim plugin to make this available from inside VIM.
If you start using my wiki (or wikia) you can start right a way without
writing additional code.

> Finally, with the amount of feedback and support that I am getting on
> this project I have migrated the project from my personal github
> account to a github organization account.
Which organization? I and Zyx (and Shougo) are part of
bitbucket.org/vimcommunity (which also want sto be open to any such
projects). Drop me a line if you want me to add you as admin.

> Let me know what you think - Its an open source project is heavily
> driven by the community.
I think this all should be on the main vim wiki, we should try to
collaborate as much as possible - and I think it should be
usable/greppable on disk.

There are many tips already, people just have to read them.

I'd say: Start spending your time on the tips, then send them to the
mailinglist, do this twice, then think about how to move on depending on
the feedback. You can still write plugins etc.

To get started I'd even say people can put there tips here (I've put
almost everything I find useful on my wiki ..)

If you want to write plugins I'm not going to stop you - just wondering
whether its most important to get started.

Marc Weber

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: