Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Re: Vim Weekly

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:07:38 AM UTC-5, MarcWeber wrote:
> Dear tawheed abdul-raheeem,
>
>
>
> I'm not sure whether you've noticed that I proposed a "haskell
>
> activities community report" [1] like thing for Vim in the past.
>
> Never started it due to lack of time
>
>
>
> Now that you use the words "replace" wikia I'd like to point you to my
>
> effort:
>
> http://vim-wiki.mawercer.de/wiki/index.html
>
>
>
> Its a wiki written for this one use case:
>
> - being easily editable by vim (offline and changes can be pushed by
>
> git)
>
> - having minimal syntax
>
> - having unique features (such as feature matrices) which help
>
> writing some content
>
> - can be edited online without login
>
>
>
> I didn't like about wikia:
>
> - not easily editable/greppable with command line tools
>
> - ads unless you login
>
>
>
> Thus I'd like to invite you to join such effort. if contents gets more
>
> mature (and more people join) I'd like to propose syncing contents to
>
> www.vim.org (because a wiki there would be terrific, too).
>
>
>
> The nice thing is that using such a wiki readers could just add comments
>
> or fix small things which might happen.
>
>
>
> Tips in this wiki are just simple text files, and this list is generated
>
> form files on disk:
>
> http://vim-wiki.mawercer.de/wiki/tips/
>
>
>
> Let me know what you think and whether I may grant you access to the
>
> github repository.
>
>
>
> Marc Weber

Hello Marc,

Thank you very much for giving me heads up on what is out there and potentially could be of use. The only problem here is that we seem to have a different take on how the project should work.

My goal
- We need one person to serve as a door keeper to the project (something like the linux kernel project) the main objective here is to fight spam and verify that the tip actually works.
- Users should not be allowed to edit the content on the main site, all tips would be submitted on github via pull-request or simply editing a file. (Again trying to fight spam - I don't think a spammer would want to go through such pain)
- To avoid information overload, I propose that tips would be released to the public in an increment of 5 tips every week. It is going to take long time but we need to start from somewhere.

In the next coming weeks I am hoping to write a command line utility that will enable users to submit tips from the CLI, possibly somebody else could create a vim plugin to make this available from inside VIM.

Finally, with the amount of feedback and support that I am getting on this project I have migrated the project from my personal github account to a github organization account.

Let me know what you think - Its an open source project is heavily driven by the community.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments: