Monday, June 30, 2014

Re: How to start vimdiff?

On 09/06/14 14:16, Tim Chase wrote:
> On 2014-06-08 22:39, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>>> 7.0.0 that I have on my work XP machine
>>> (I can hear Tony groaning at that version number)
>>
>> Me groan? I have more important things to groan about at the
>> moment. Anyway, it's your funeral, not only about Vim but also
>> about M$W.
>
> Yeah, it's an XP VM for $SIDE_JOB. Though it is nice to be able to
> test things on a Win32 machine (even if it's ancient and unsupported
> now). At home, it's the year-old 7.3.547 that is stock with Debian
> Stable which helps me better gauge whether an issue on the XP box is
> fixed in more recent versions.
>
> Though of new features since 7.x, I wouldn't miss most of them in my
> day-to-day usage of vim except for new quotation/tag text objects,
> internal vimgrep, and spell-checking. There are a couple other new
> things that are nice to have, but I get along fine without them. I
> thought I'd use 'relativenumber' more, but found it too distracting
> to use regularly; and "conceal" sounds promising, but haven't gotten
> around to learning it.
>
> -tim
>
>
>

I don't use relativenumber or conceal myself. I use vimgrep a lot but
IIRC it's been there since 7.0 so no problem there.

What other things do I use?
Extra Unicode support (7.0): recognizable glyphs above U+FFFF,
'maxcombine', 8g8
MatchParen (7.0)
'cursorline' and 'cursorcolumn' (7.0)
Tab pages (7.0)
Scrolling back at the more-prompt and hit-Enter-prompt (7.0)
:map and :abbr with <expr> (7.0)
a" a' i" i' text objects (7.0)

Floating point (7.2)

Additional floating-point functions (7.3)

And certainly some more which I don't think of at the moment. One new
7.4 thing I don't use (yet) is the new "NFA" regexp engine.


As soon as I see a new patchlevel I compile it for both Huge and Tiny
featuresets but that's a little overdoing it for most users. It's my
contribution to testing (e.g., that there are the right #ifdef
directives to avoid compile errors in the Tiny build). I also have a Vim
from my distro but it's later in the $PATH. ATM it's a Huge 7.4.52 with
+x11 +xterm_clipboard but -gui.


Best regards,
Tony.
--
"After the survivor of the Spanish conquest has told his life's story he is
convicted by the Inquisition:

"He posted no brief in defense or mitigation of his offenses, and
when he was most solemnly advised by the Court President of the dire
consequences he faced if found guilty, Juan Damasceno volunteered
only one comment:

'It will mean I do not go to the Christian heaven?'

He was told that that would indeed be the worst of his punishments:
that he would most assuredly not go to Heaven. At which, his smile
sent a thrill of horror through every soul of the Court."
["Aztec", by Gary Jennings]

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: