Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Re: imap Alt Space (please help <:( )

> On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 3:29:38 PM UTC+2, neolus wrote:
>> Hello, I simply wanted to redirect Alt + Space in insert mode to a plain
>> space but this seems more complicated than I thought.

I see from a later post that you're running gvim. Normally that
makes mapping keys fairly straightforward, but mapping alt-space
seems to be an anomaly, at least for me running Gvim under KDE
on Linux. I usually have alt-space mapped for a system-wide
function, so I'd never tried mapping it in Gvim before. I get
the same behavior as you. A common way to determine which codes
are sent by pressing a key is to enter insert mode, press Ctrl-V
(or Ctrl-Q if you've got Ctrl-V mapped, which is sometimes done
on Microsoft Windows), then press the key in question. It
should insert its key code into the buffer for examination.
When I try this with alt-space, nothing happens until I press
another key. I think this means you may not have much success
trying to map alt-space in Gvim, at least without a more
thorough look into Gvim's guts to see what's going on under the
hood.

On 06/25/2014 11:25 AM, Bruno Sutic wrote:
> I've tried to make a plugin that consistently enables alt mappings in vim.
> https://github.com/bruno-/vim-alt-mappings

Hi, Bruno,

I took a quick look at your plugin page, and I see you've got it
marked "experimental" because of some unsolved issues. You
might like to take a look at my "fixkey" plugin to see how it
handles some of the issues you bring up:
https://github.com/drmikehenry/vim-fixkey

Michael Henry

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: