Friday, June 20, 2014

Re: way to force vim to do a read (already in 'autoread')

John Little wrote:
> autoread should work, but requires you to click in the vim window to wake it up.
> If it doesn't, maybe you're editing across systems, so that a discrepancy in system times means vim thinks the file hasn't changed; used to happen a bit, but I wouldn't expect it these days and not on /tmp.
>
-----
FWIW, vim is running on the same machine that the build is running
on (a linux
server) on a file system with nanosecond time stamps, so it should be able
to know even the smallest of changes (which is part of the problem ).

As far as 'which' vim to send it to, It'd be nice to be able to send
to it
by 'name' of the file it is editing -- as the 'monitor vim' always displays
"/tmp/out" (/tmp is a normal "xfs" file system as well).


When the vim's are minimized, I go by the filename displayed on the task
bar to know which one to use if I need to open one. Sometimes will have
'greater than' 10 vim's open on various files in the project. I have
recently
taken to opening some of the editable files on tabs as I start, as with a
few of them I can start "-p {x,y,z}.cc" and re-edit that line to change the
".cc" to ".h" to get the include files.

I am using a monitoring script (perl) to trigger the make (or was when I
had hoped to make this work)... It is now over 100 lines, itself -- so
realized
I was reallying getting side-tracked on this business of getting an
auto-rebuild
system to work when I'm not sure I can get the vim part to display the last
changes in the output file.

(BTW, ~half the monitoring script monitors 'itself' for changes to
restart
itself if I make changes to it!) -- it all started out so simply!! ARG!
(laughing
at self!)....



--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: