Monday, June 30, 2014

Re: vim 7.4: pasting is very slow on HP UX machine.

On 2014-07-01, John Beckett wrote:
> Sarath Addanki wrote:
> > I'm using right click to paste into Vim via PuTTY.
>
> Has anyone pointed out what is happening? On paste (right
> click), PuTTY sends each character from the clipboard over the
> SSH session to the server where Vim is running, as if you had
> typed the character. I do not know the details, but PuTTY must
> somehow throttle sending in order to avoid overrunning the input
> buffer on the server. My guess is that slow pasting is an
> unavoidable consequence.

That's a good point, John, but Sarath did the same pasting into vi
(vim tiny?) and emacs and neither was as slow as vim, so it's not
just PuTTY.

I wonder if the problem would be there using telnet instead of ssh
and if so, if Wireshark would reveal anything interesting.

> I don't need to use PuTTY much, but in the past I have found it
> easier to use a separate command prompt window to upload a file
> (pscpy) with whatever text I needed, then read it into Vim (:r
> filename.txt).

I use PuTTY on Windows 7 over ssh to vim on Linux all the time and
most of the time I don't notice any speed issues at all, including
when I paste.

Regards,
Gary

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: