Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Re: gnome-terminal, azerty keyboard, accents problem

On 25/11/14 16:22, petitjean.chiral@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I am connected to my linux centos 5.5 station with an azerty keyboard pc105, with some accentuated vowels available by pressing one button (no shift, no AltGr, etc.), such as:
> éèçàù
> I see them correctly on my screen just now and I hope that you can see them, too.
> If you don't: I typed "e" with acute accent, then "e" with grave accent, then "c" with cedilla, then "a" with grave accent, then "u" with a grave accent.
> I see them also when using firefox and OpenOffice, but neither at the shell level with gnome-terminal 2.16.0 nor with vim 7.0.
> The same symptoms appear with the other accentuated vowels reached via pressing two buttons (e.g. to put a circonflex accent on the "a" or else).
> The result of the locale command is:
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LC_CTYPE="C"
> LC_NUMERIC="C"
> LC_TIME="C"
> LC_COLLATE="C"
> LC_MONETARY="C"
> LC_MESSAGES="C"
> LC_PAPER="C"
> LC_NAME="C"
> LC_ADDRESS="C"
> LC_TELEPHONE="C"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
> LC_ALL=C
> What should I do to see the accentuated vowels when I type them within a line shell command or when inputting text with vim ?
> I read a huge of web pages about that, but nothing works.
> Once some pertinent change will be found, should I just reopen a new terminal window, or logout then login, or reboot ?
> Thanks for any help.
> Michel.
>

At a shell command, I think you're out of luck. AFAICT bash translates
as groups of two (or maybe more) characters anything above 0x7F. To
enter a string containing them, try using octal backslash-escapes.

In Vim, I have no problem, even in konsole or in gnome-terminal; nor do
I have any problems there with other "high ASCII" characters such as ²
(superscript 2), ³ (superscript 3), µ (Greek mu) or £ (pound sterling),
all of which are assigned single keys (possibly with Shift but not with
AltGr or dead keys) on my Belgian AZERTY keyboard.

In my vimrc, I set Vim to use UTF-8 'encoding' while keeping
'termencoding' at whatever was handed out to it; and my $LC_CTYPE is set
to fr_BE.utf8. The result of my "locale" command is as follows:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=fr_BE.utf8
LC_NUMERIC=en_GB.utf8
LC_TIME=en_GB
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=en_GB.utf8
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=en_GB.utf8
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_GB.utf8
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

See also http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Working_with_Unicode


Best regards,
Tony.
--
How many months are we going to be behind them [Redhat] with a glibc
release?"
-- Jim Pick, 8 months before Debian 2.0 is finally released

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: