Thursday, November 20, 2014

Re: Slow loading in Windows 7



On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 9:17 AM, Mike Williams <mike.williams@globalgraphics.com> wrote:

Do you think running a 32 bit version on 64 bit windows 7 had anything
to do with it?

Yes, I think this is possible. Also it might depend on the compiler. I
remember
some discussions, saying that when using visual studio it is faster than
using the mingw or cygwin
gcc. That's why I asked for the complete :version output. So you might
want to test different Vim versions.

 I didn't build the executables myself, just downloaded from the vim site.

Also I just noted that when the runtime files live on a network share
(as has been the case for me)
loading those files is a lot slower.

No, in my case all the vim stuff is on the computer.

An optimised 32bit build on Win7 x64 is nice and quick.  I can get a 5sec startuptime if I do a non-optimised build. 

I'm getting 5 seconds, but that's the problem, before it was always instantaneous
 
The bulk of the time was spent sourcing synload.vim which doesn't tie up to the reported startuptime results.  That appeared to show time spent in preparing the GUI -  all that happens at that time is initialising OLE and loading a dll to get at some entry points.  I'm not an OLE expert so don't know what may affect that but the code looks small and simple.  Loading a dll should be quick.

I build with MSVC, it may be that alternate compilers and their runtime libraries cause slow downs.  Unfortunately the compiler used is not reported by version, perhaps it should to help with these types of problems.

I could give building it myself a try, but what's strange is that is used to work just fine on my 64 bit machine, and it still works just fine on my other 32 bit machine, same executables.
 
Thanks,


Jack

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: