Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Re: List of potential insert mode control character mappings?

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 9:54 PM, Josef Fortier <josef.fortier@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking at insert.txt I saw this note:
>
> The following mappings are suggested to make typing the completion commands
> a bit easier (although they will hide other commands):
> :inoremap ^] ^X^]
> :inoremap ^F ^X^F
> :inoremap ^D ^X^D
> :inoremap ^L ^X^L
>
> Which got me thinking
>
> In normal terminal use I use:
>
> c-r
> c-l
> c-w
> c-u
> c-z
>
> I never use C-s and c-Q, but they occasionally get used.
>
> and not much else. I don't think C-F has a normal vim mapping (I think the "hide other commands" reference was to c-] ). What mappings are easily available for control characters in terminal vim in for insert mode mappings?
>
Ctrl-F in Normal mode is an alias for PgDn (see :help CTRL-F); in
Insert mode it is used by defaut in C indenting to reindent the
current line (see :help i_CTRL-F); in Command-line mode it is used by
default to open the command-line window (see :help c_CTRL-F).

As {lhs} for mappings in any mode, I recommend Fn and Shift-Fn, except
F1 which means Help. For instance, Ctrl-] is hard to find on my
Belgian keyboard (it requires the AltGr-Ctrl-$ chord which is awkward)
so I put the following in my vimrc:
:map <F9> <C-]>
:map! <F9> <C-]>
This allows me to follow help tags and trigger abbreviations more
easily than with that 3-key chord.

Best regards,
Tony.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: