Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Re: Problem using vim in csh on linux

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 4:26 PM, Lowell Specht <lospecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to linux. I have used unix for decades. We are moving to redhat linux servers at work and I'm trying to use vi but have a problem with the vi window refresh. When the file first opens, all looks good. As I page back and forth, the file starts to look corrupted but is really just that the window is not fully refreshed, I think.
>
> I tried vim with the same result as vi though I think when I launch vi, it is aliased to vim. My default shell is csh. Today, on a whim, I switched my current shell to ksh and tried vi/vim and it works perfectly.
>
> How can I get vi/vim to work properly in csh on linux?
> Please, no responses telling me to use ksh, instead of csh or a different editor unless it is just vi by another name. Thanks.

Which version are you using? Pasting the first few lines of the stdout
output of "vim --version" (without the quotes, at a shell prompt)
ought to be enough. For me it says the following:

VIM - Vi IMproved 7.4 (2013 Aug 10, compiled Oct 13 2015 21:11:46)
Included patches: 1-898
Compiled by antoine.mechelynck@skynet.be
Huge version with GTK2-GNOME GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):

The rest (and there is a lot of it) is less interesting to solve your problem.

Best regards,
Tony.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: