Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Re: "fictious" not recognized as spelling error

Den 2015-10-19 kl. 18:52, skrev Paul:

> For a reason that I haven't been able to suss out, "fictious" not
> recognized as spelling error.

That's because it "is a word" (an expression which I find rather silly)
according to major dictionaries, although labeled archaic by most of
them.[1] For example:

<http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fictious>

> It doesn't exist in my en.utf-8.add, and I double-checked by
> mkspell!'ing it. I know that I have the right spell file due to other
> changes I made (and whose effect I see in the main text file that I'm
> spellchecking). I did a "zw" on the word, but it still isn't
> recognized as an error.

Here it is flagged as wrong without any custom spellfile loaded, and I
have certainly not done `zw` or `Zw` on it. From your other messages it
seems something is amiss with the spell check feature for you.

> Thanks to anyone who can point out how I can troubleshoot this
> further.

`zw` if you get it working, or `:SubstituteCase#\cfictious#fictitious#g`
(www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=6)

[1] (This long footnote is mostly on the linguistic issue, so the
topicality-fastidious should not read it!)

Of course you decide which words _you_ want or don't want to use, but
please don't assume that your preferences are universal without checking
(googling, but don't trust any dictionary blindly!). What is a spelling
error to some may be an archaism to others, and a distinction in meaning
to still others. That's why vim has and must have `zg`, `zw` and
friends. There is no silver bullet, least of all where English is
concerned. Countries, universities, newspapers publishers, dictionaries,
wordlists and individuals all have more or less different 'standards'/preferences.

The vim spellfiles for English contain American, British etc. spellings
_at the same time_, marking any spelling as correct which was in some
wordlist used as input. That means that many spellings and words which
are 'wrong', 'bad' or 'nonexisting' to _some_ English speakers/users are
recognised as 'good' by them. If it were up to me there would be
different en_us, en_gb, en_ox etc. spellfiles only. For professional
reasons I have had to build those myself (based on SCOWL:
<http://wordlist.aspell.net/>) for reliable results.

I am not a native speaker but I have translated to and from English for
a living and read almost exclusively English literature in the original
for almost twenty years, so I daresay I am a proficient user and I have
my privately preferred spellings (and wordlists to go with them), but
professionally I'm usually required to use _either_ general British,
Oxford or American 'standard' spellings in each project.

On the wordness of the specific word: to me at least "fictious" and
"fictitious" differ in the degree to which they imply that someone
wishes to deceive or someone is deluded respectively. That may be my
idiosyncratic notion, but it is real to me. For the record "fictional"
and "fictive" mean two yet other, different things.

By the way "recognized" is if not an "error" then a bad spelling in _my_
book. That does not mean that I want to impose my preference on you or
anybody. I understand how those who invented that spelling thought, but
I vehemently disagree because it is unetymological. Vim's bundled word
list is no help: it accepts _both_ "recognise" and "recognize", which
most certainly is wrong by anybody's standard.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: