Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Re: Problem using vim in csh on linux

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 9:46:22 PM UTC-4, Lowell Specht wrote:
> I'm new to linux. I have used unix for decades. We are moving to redhat linux servers at work and I'm trying to use vi but have a problem with the vi window refresh. When the file first opens, all looks good. As I page back and forth, the file starts to look corrupted but is really just that the window is not fully refreshed, I think.
>
> I tried vim with the same result as vi though I think when I launch vi, it is aliased to vim. My default shell is csh. Today, on a whim, I switched my current shell to ksh and tried vi/vim and it works perfectly.
>
> How can I get vi/vim to work properly in csh on linux?
> Please, no responses telling me to use ksh, instead of csh or a different editor unless it is just vi by another name. Thanks.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!
I'll try to answer all the questions and suggestions.

What version of vim?
VIM - Vi IMproved 7.4 (2013 Aug 10, compiled Mar 31 2015 11:14:07)
Included patches: 1-207, 209-629
Modified by <bugzilla@redhat.com>
Compiled by <bugzilla@redhat.com>
Huge version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):

What does $TERM look like for the non-working csh and the working ksh?
csh: TERM=xterm
ksh: TERM=xterm

How do I establish my terminal session?
terminal is Windows client app hummingbird exceed common desktop environment to logon to a HP unix server. From there, I ssh -Y to the linux server.

Does CTRL Shift L work? No.

Do I notice it more with different file types?
No. Problem appears while editing a makefile, a fortran source file and my .cshrc. I haven't spent a lot of time exploring this with other files.

Same path in both shells?
yes. which vim returns /usr/bin/vim in both shells. which vi indicates it is aliased to vim.


Minimal sequence of steps to demonstrate the problem:
1. windows client, launch hummingbird exceed CDE, login to unix server with default csh, launch an xterm, ssh -Y <linux server> in an xterm
2. vim an ascii file large enough that you can page back and forth.
3. ctrl-f and ctrl-b a few times and watch the text become garbled as the window does not fully refresh. Note that using j and k to scroll one line at time works fine (I just discovered this).

What is the output from :set termcap?
I am not familiar with this command. I tried it in both shells and got :set not found. So I tried it without the colon and got no error and no output. Just a return to the prompt.

Try, vim -N -u NONE.
I did. Same problem.

So, I hope this helps.
After typing this up, I tried Windows Client, putty terminal, ssh -Y to linux server and now vim works in csh. So it is looking like a problem with the hummingbird exceed CDE.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: