Thursday, October 22, 2015

Re: Problem using vim in csh on linux

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 9:46:22 PM UTC-4, Lowell Specht wrote:
> I'm new to linux. I have used unix for decades. We are moving to redhat linux servers at work and I'm trying to use vi but have a problem with the vi window refresh. When the file first opens, all looks good. As I page back and forth, the file starts to look corrupted but is really just that the window is not fully refreshed, I think.
>
> I tried vim with the same result as vi though I think when I launch vi, it is aliased to vim. My default shell is csh. Today, on a whim, I switched my current shell to ksh and tried vi/vim and it works perfectly.
>
> How can I get vi/vim to work properly in csh on linux?
> Please, no responses telling me to use ksh, instead of csh or a different editor unless it is just vi by another name. Thanks.

Here is some additional info though I believe my solution is to stop using the Hummingbird Exceed CDE to connect.

I did try the termcap suggestion in vim and got it to work. I don't know how to interpret the results though. I do have man pages for termcap so when I get some time, I'll see if I can figure out what it all means.

The garbled text I mentioned in my original post means whole characters, It's as if the window is simply not being repainted when I navigate using ctrl f and ctrl b.

Also, didn't mention this before, whenever I do a : command in vim, the command is not being repainted so the command remains at the bottom of the window and after several commands, the line becomes garbled with parts of former commands. This problem occurs in both csh and ksh.

I did try to do some editing yesterday using vim in ksh and discovered, for example, that if I delete 4 characters from a line using 4x, the characters are deleted, the remainder of the line shifts left 4 characters and the last 4 characters in the line left the original characters in place so that the last 4 chars are repeated. ex:

The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain. <<original line

If I delete the word rain using 4x, the line becomes.

The in Spain stays mainly on the plain.ain. <<new line

This problem occurs in both ksh and csh though the original paging issue only occured in csh.

I did try putty connecting to the hp unix server and then ssh to the linux server and vim still works fine. So I don't think it is the unix server, I believe that vim is just not supported in Hummingbird Exceed CDE. It is a shame since I really like the CDE. I will be trying gnome in the near future as a replacement for the CDE and hopefully vim will work with that since gnome is bundled with linux.

Thanks for all the feedback. It has helped me to understand this issue better and moved me along my linux learning curve.

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_use" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_use" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: